Electric vehicles (EVs) are alternatives to traditional gasoline powered automobiles, and while interest in electric vehicles is growing, there are still some concerns.
Concerns about electric vehicles vary based on the person considering them. Some of the most common concerns include questions like “How far can I drive before I need to recharge?” “Do they cost more than gasoline cars?” “Are they environmentally friendly?” These are all valid questions; however, with continued technological advancements, EVs will be even more appealing.
There are many pros and cons of electric vehicles that should be known before making a decision on whether or not to invest in an EV.
Here is a list of some pros and cons of electric vehicles:
– They are environmentally friendly compared to conventional fuel powered automobiles. There is no gasoline (or other internal combustion engines) necessary, which means there will be less carbon monoxide and other greenhouse gases released into the air.
– They are far better for the environment than traditional internal combustion engine vehicles because they do not emit any harmful pollutants into the atmosphere. Zero emissions mean that there are no adverse health effects on people or animals, even at point blank range.
– The electricity used to power these vehicles comes from clean sources like wind turbines or solar panels. Even if you charge your EV with electricity produced by coal burning power plants, you will be running an electric vehicle that is far better for the environment than a gasoline powered one.
– Due to pollution concerns, there are grants and tax incentives available for people who purchase EVs. There are also programs in place where certain vehicles can be plugged into charging stations while they are being used by other vehicles on the road. Since electric vehicles use so little electricity compared to normal gas powered vehicles, this has virtually no impact on the power grid or on your bill. In fact, you may even receive some money back from your utility company for participating!
Using less gas will have a positive economic effect as well because each gallon of gasoline saves money.
– They are very quiet! Electric vehicles are so quiet that they have to be manufactured with a sound system to alert pedestrians and other drivers when the vehicle is in motion. Some EVs are so silent, people think they are broken or out of power until they accelerate quickly.
– The noise level of electric vehicles compared to an internal combustion engine car means that it’s possible for them to be used more effectively by businesses like delivery companies because their operations would not be interrupted by traffic noise.
– Though electric cars can go longer distances between charges than gasoline ones, there are still concerns about how far you can travel before needing to recharge your vehicle. Depending on the type of battery, it takes between six and nine hours to recharge an EV with a drained battery. Fortunately, most people charge their vehicles at home overnight during this time. There are some public charging stations that offer faster recharging times for people who need to make a quick stop on the way home from work or if they want to go on a road trip!
– Electric vehicles can be more expensive than gasoline powered cars up front because there is no federal tax credit available for them yet. Some states do have electric vehicle incentives in place though, so be sure to look into those as well before deciding whether or not an electric car is right for you! Certainly with all the aforementioned benefits, the positives of electric vehicles outweigh the negatives!
Interested in going solar? EnergySage can help!
EnergySage is an online marketplace that connects homeowners and businesses with pre-screened solar installers. Get instant quotes and compare equipment, financing and installation options. Licensed solar companies compete for your business. You choose the company you want and receive multiple quotes from their competitively-priced proposals! No more calls or meetings with pushy salespeople. Do it all from the comfort of your home or office – right now!