Today switching to solar has become one of the popular trends around the world and many homeowners and businesses are already doing this for various reasons such as save money and the environment. Also, many are switching to solar because this has become a trend as the cost of solar panels is declining every year and in some countries, solar power is reaching grid parity — a state where solar energy is competing with conventional sources of energy. Learn more here about: How much does solar panels cost? which is another relevant question to enable you to answer the question: Are solar panels worth it? .This article is a review of solar panels from different solar manufacturers; examples of these solar panels review include: Suniva solar panels review, LG solar panels reviews and others.
How much does solar panels cost? Suniva Solar Panels Review, LG solar panels review and others.
This is one of the questions that many homeowners or business owners ask when they want to decide to switch to solar. However, this question is not answered without considering which solar panel brand is best for your home or business. Today there are so many solar panels brands out there and here we provide a brief review of some of these solar panel brands. You can find compressive solar panel reviews from sources like the EnergySage that have developed a ranking criteria based on warranties, solar panel efficiency and temperature coefficient. The EnergySage has also a solar resource platform to help you get started with the decision to go solar.
Also, eventhough we provide reviews for the different brands, we do not endorse specific brands over others, but provide information and tools that can help you make a more informed decision when it comes to go solar. Because the solar industry is still in its nascent stage, there are data gaps especially when it comes to field data that will help us base our judgment on reliability data on system performance or system failure. As a result, systems like the DNV GL’s PV module reliability scorecard can help to fill this data gap and provide information that would help project developers and investors avoid procuring equipment that exhibit early lifetime failure and select equipment that performs successfully over the long-term.
Solar Panel Reviews, including Suniva Solar Panels review, LG Solar Panels Reviews and others.
The solar panels reviewed here are made of Monocrystalline Solar Cells and Polycrystalline Solar Cells. Monocrystalline are solar cells with the highest efficiency rates because they are made of high-grade silicon, hence needing less space in your roof top while Polycrystalline Solar Cells are made of less silicon and therefore cheaper compared to their counterparts. Of the seven types of solar panels brands reviewed here, SunPower leads in the USA market share at 17%, followed by Canadian Solar and LG solar which are both at 6%.
- Canadian Solar: Canadian Solar state that they are the leading solar manufacturers in the world and produce high efficiency solar cells, solar modules, solar power systems as well as the off-grid solar power application solutions. It has about 11 solar PV models with an output ranging between 210 and 260 W and made of monocrystalline technology while the efficiency range between 15.4 to 16.33%. Canadian solar provides a product warranty of 10 years which covers defects in materials and workmanship that may affect your solar power system. These solar panels are produced in Canada.
- Sharp Solar: Sharp Solar state that it is committed to serving their customers with genuine satisfaction while making a meaningful contribution to society. Their brand comes in six (6) models made of polycrystalline with an average efficiency ranging between 14.4 & 15.3% and comes with a warranty of 10 years. Sharp guarantees a performance of the solar panels for 25 years and at the end of the 25 years, the power output does not go below 80% while their solar panels are manufactured in Japan and USA.
- SunPower Solar: SunPower state they have been leading global solar innovation since 1985. SunPower state they have the highest performing solar power systems available. Their brand comes in three (3) models made of mono crystalline technology with an average efficiency ranging between 20.4 to 21.5% efficiency which is one of the highest in the market. SunPower provides a 25 years warranty for their solar panels and guarantees a 25 year performance and at the end of 25 years, the power output of their solar panels does not go below 87%. Their solar panels are manufactured in USA and Philippines.
- LG Solar:LG state that their solar panels are backed with 25 years of comprehensive research and development far surpassing industry standards, uniquely designed to offer the superior quality, field tested performance, durability and reliability customers the world over have come to expect from LG. LG Solar panels are made of monocrystalline technology with an efficiency ranging between 15.2 and 18.3%. Their brand comes in six (6) with wattage ranging between 260 to 300 W. LG provides a warranty of 10 years, but guarantees system performance for 25 years with an output not going less than 80.2%. LG solar panels are produced in South Korea.
- Suniva Solar: Suniva state that it is one of the leading American manufacturer of high-efficiency, cost-competitive PV solar solar cells and modules. Their solar panels are made of both mono crystalline and polycrystalline. The efficiency of their solar panels range between 14.75 to 16.79% with a warranty of 10 years. Suniva guarantees a 25 year performance for their solar panels and at the end of 25 years, power output should be no less than 80.2%. Suniva solar panels are manufactured in the USA.
SolarWorld Solar: SolarWorld states is a solar pioneer, one of the world’s largest solar-technology producers and the largest U.S. solar panel manufacturer for more than 35 years. SolarWorld has about six (6) models made of mono crystalline and polycrystalline technology. The efficiency of their solar panels range between 13.12–16.7% and they provide a warranty of 10 years. SolarWorld guarantees a lifespan of 30 years for their solar panels and at the end of this lifespan, power output should be no less than 86.5%. SolarWorld solar panels are manufactured in USA and Germany.
7. Suntech Solar: Founded in 2001, Suntech Solar states that they develop, manufacture, and deliver the world’s most reliable and cost-effective solar energy solutions. Suntech Solar manufacturers about 4 models with a wattage ranging between 240 to 305 W made of Monocrystalline, Polycrystalline technology. They also come with a 10 year warranty and a guarantees a lifespan of 25 years and at the end of these 25 years, power output should be no less than 80.2%. Suntech solar panels are manufactured in China, Japan and USA.
So, how much does solar panels cost?
Solar panels of higher efficiency are more expensive because they tend to save you more energy and require less rooftop space. However, depending on the brand and type of solar panels being purchased, the variation in solar panel cost or price is not significant. To provide an estimate, solar panels made in America generally cost between 80¢ to $1 per watt (W) with the highest quality american panels being sold at $1.25/W. So depending on the brand and quality of the solar panels system, you may get a slight difference in the solar panel cost. However, this is the solar panels cost of the system, but installation and permitting costs tend to increase the total cost of switching to solar. For instance, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), capacity-weighted average residential system pricing reported by state and utility solar programs in 2015 in the first quarter was $4.43/Wdc, while for commercial solar systems was reported at $3.23/Wdc. To learn more about solar panel cost, click here.
If you are homeowner or business that is looking for solar panels or wanting to switch to solar, you can calculate your PV system costs and savings using a solar panel calculator. You can click here to start the process of calculating your solar panel cost or going solar. Here you will also answer questions you might have such as: Are solar panels worth it? and how much does solar panels cost? Also, this system has the ability to tell you how much sun is hitting your roof and how much solar energy you can produce from it to power your home or business. Get started using this solar panel cost calculator to determine how much you can save with solar.